Friday, July 25, 2008

iPod.Shuffle: Common f/ Lauren Hill- Retrospect For Life


This song came up randomly on my iPod and I felt compelled to write a little something on it. Common & Lauren Hill's Retrospect For Life is classic without a doubt, easily one of the best and most thought provoking hip-hop songs of all time. This song embodies everything that is right about hip-hop, If they played this song @ abortion clinics people would walk out. Too bad Common dropped this legacy defining song and the album One Day It'll All Make Sense during a time period when he was still somewhat underground and lacking the mainstream attention and exposure that he has today.

Common- Retrospect For Life:
"Knowin you the best part of life,
do I have the right to take yours,
Cause I created you, irresponsibly,
Subconsciously knowin the act I was a part of,
The start of somethin,
I'm not ready to bring into the world,
Had myself believin I was sterile,
I look into mother's stomach, wonder if you are a boy or a girl,
Turnin this woman's womb into a tomb,
But she and I agree, a seed we don't need,
You would've been much more than a mouth to feed,
But someone, I woulda fed this information I read to someone,
my life for you I woulda had to leave,
Instead I lead you to death,
I'm sorry for takin your first breath, first step, and first cry,
But I wasn't prepared mentally nor financially,
Havin a child shouldn't have to bring out the man in me,
Plus I wanted you to be raised within a family,
I don't wanna, go through the drama of havin a baby's momma,
Weekend visits and buyin J's ain't gone make me a father,
For a while bearing a child is somethin I never wanted to do,
For me to live forever I can only do that through you,
Nerve I got to talk about them niggaz with a gun,
must have really thought I was God to take the life of my son,
I could have sacrificed goin out,
To think my homies who did it I used to joke about,
from now on, I'ma use self control instead of birth control
Cause $315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth it"
$315 ain't worth your soul! Damn! Damn! Damn! That's something to think about.......

1 comment:

Melody.Darlene said...

this is exactly why i keep my ipod on random all day everyday!