Sunday, August 31, 2008

New Heights! Jay-Z @ Glastonbury!



So its official my Jay-Z fandom has reached new heights. I've been a big Jigga fan for years now, I have every Jay-Z solo album known to man including dozens of freestyles and unreleased songs. And even with all that I still had my doubts about Jigga being the undisputed champ until I saw this man tear the muthafuckin roof off the Hollywood Bowl a few months back. That did it for me, that solidified in my eyes that he is still the best. Niggas can not do what Jay-Z can do, the way he memorized the crowd and delivered those songs so effortlessly was amazing. Being there you could without a doubt tell that he was born for this.

So my new found fascination with Jay-Z live performances had me dusting off the old Jay-Z: Unplugged and then I came across Jay-Z's groundbreaking performance @ Glastonbury in the UK. For those that are not in the know about the significance of the performance let me give you a little background on it. Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts is one of the largest music and performing arts festivals in the world and had never had a hip-hop artist "Headline" there before Jay-Z did earlier this year. When they announced Jay-Z was going to headline the show it was met with criticism and controversy. Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher had called hip hop at Glastonbury "wrong" and traditionalists in Internet chatrooms had said they would have preferred a band like Radiohead, while critics also blamed the rapper for slow ticket sales.

Needless to say Jay-Z came, he saw and he conquered completely tearing the roof of the place. I got my hands on the MP3 of his full set and have been banging that shit ever since. So I decided to post the link to it for the Hip-Hop fans and Jay-Z enthusiast out there. I've seen Fade To Black and The Hard Knock Life Tour DVD's but this is truly a Jay-Z performance like no other Jay-Z at his best!!!! Pretty Fuckin' Awesome!!!!!!

Listen: Jay-Z Live at Glastonbury

No comments: