Sunday, March 15, 2009

My School's Going To The 'Big Dance'


I've been going to Cal State Northridge (CSUN) for a few years now and every year its the same story, lose to the conference Juggernaut Pacific (after a hard fought season) and watch the greatest spectacle in all sports March Madness from home. But this year is all about CHANGE and this year boys and girls we've got our dancing shoes ready because we're heading to The Big Dance! Being the Uber Sports Fan that I am I couldn't be more excited!!!! This is my first opportunity to get a change to experience high stakes college athletics with a winning team! For so many years I'd just sit home and watch the Dukes', the North Carolina's, the Georgetown's of the world and wondering why that could be us and why couldn't I be that drunkin' rabbit fan in full body paint haggling the referees??? Well now's my change and its bittersweet to say the least. My school has finally been selected to be part of the field of 64, one of 64 teams fighting for their place in history, part of 64 teams put it all on the line as they race to cut down the nets.

By my accounts March Madness started 2 days ago when Syracuse defeated UConn in 6OT's. The feelings in the air, Can You Feel It? Can Feel It? The type of excitement only found during March Madness. Who's this year's Stephan Curry? Who's this years George Mason or Davison? Could it be Northridge? or maybe your school? Thats what makes The Big Dance, well The Big Dance because you simple dont know whats going to happen. Which No. 1 seed will fall first, will they all fall? Everyone loves a good upset and you wont find bigger upsets anywhere else but here. There's about 10 to 15 teams looking for the biggest win in school history and 10 to 15 teams willing to do anything to prevent that, you couldnt write a better storyline if someone paid you to. Watching the ball hit the bottom of the net from 35 feet as the No. 1 seed falls and the fans of completely unknown Ginavitus University flood the court like a million ants in school colors is sight like no other! The NBA has nothing on passion like this!

My only regret is that I didn't go to school with a better athletic program so I could enjoy this experience more frequently than once every 8 years. With that said, fuck the haters, Lets Go Matadors!!!

No comments: