Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sexdrive...Yet Another Ode to Teenage Virginity Loss

Alloy Entertainment is about to drop yet another Movie about a “horny young virgin” trying to get a nut off, Sexdrive. The plots pretty basic, dude meets girl over the internet, feeds her a bunch of lies about himself and next thing he knows she wants to meet up. Now the sex deprived and inexperienced horny virgin goes to extreme lengths (driving across the country) with his wing man by his side in an attempt to lose his virginty with the internet hottie. The “horny virgin desperate to get laid movie" well seems to be the well that keeps on giving. No matter how many times they go back to it, it seems like it never gets old to Americans, especially as of late.

Most recently the movie industry gave us College (2008), I had the displeasure of watching this movie earlier this year on opening weekend in a jam-packed theatre of about 7 other movie goers in Culver City (no lie). Last year Producer Judd Apatow gave us Superbad and 40 Year Old Virgin in 2005, both Classics. Other notable movies exploring the same topic include The Wood (1999), Can't Hardly Wait (1998) and American Pie (1999)

It shouldn't come as news that virginity loss is an experience widely perceived as one of the most important turning points in a person's life especially for men, and it’s no coincidence that it's also one of the most common themes in media depictions of teenage sexuality. Every time I watch one of these movies I am reminded of the day I lost my virginity. I remember it as vividy as any day in my life. Prior to that day I never would have guessed I'd lose my virginity on my sister’s birthday ironically enough. What a day it was, got some cakes in the afternoon and birthday cake in the evening. The funny thing is when I walked in the door my dad took one look at me, and instantly he knew...he knew I was a different man. I couldn’t believe it, I guess it was written all over my face or maybe it was the fact that my young swagger was at an all-time high, regardless of however he figured it out, at that moment pops knew his boy had become a man.

And for the record I will be checking this film out opening day.

No comments: