Thursday, December 4, 2008

Seal : Soul : Review

Well produced, well executed and every song is solid by my estimation, he did his thing on this one but 6 records really stand out for me.

1. A Change Is Gonna Come
2. I Can't Stand The Rain
3. It's A Man's Man's Man's World
9. I'm Still In Love With You
11. Stand By Me
12. People Get Ready

10. Free (is also a good one, but Mariah's rendition of the record is just sharper and seems to stand out in my head for some reason)

Though most of these songs have been covered hundreds of times, I won’t hold that against him, I'm just going to judge this off the merit of the records themselves in the time period it was released (2008) and overall the record is solid from top to bottom.

The album starts off with the ultra soulful classic "A Change Is Gonna Come" and finishes up with another change inspired record "People Get Ready" The Impressions 1965 hit written in the year after the civil rights March on Washington, so it’s only fitting that this record dropped in the year of “Change”. The highlight of this album is how the records themselves come full circle with where we are today, because even though these songs were written decades ago their social relevance stands even till this day.

The overall theme of the album is love, freedom and change, I cant argue with that. I feel like the record is well done and well timed, like the Ultimate Soul Mix CD that just hits in the right places and the right time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother… I couldn't have said or explain better than this… this CD is on time and timeless. A befitting voice of rustic travail of the culture of love and the state of Man Kind… totally loving it….